Thursday, May 10, 2012

Review: Something Like Normal


Something Like Normal
Something Like Normal by Trish Doller

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Nineteen-year-old Travis has been serving in Afghanistan and is now returning home to Fort Myers for leave. Waiting at his airport is his mother, but his dad and his brother did not show up. Life is not great when he comes home; he blanks out and thinks about all the horrible things that he had to endure. Plus his family, who I just wanted to slap and knock them into reality- except his mother. You find out fast his father is worthless and only worries about himself. His mother makes it up by being this great wonderful mother figure, which supports her son throughout the entire book. I loved her character! His brother stole his girlfriend Paige and even his car that he paid for and fixed up. To make matters worse he keeps having reoccurring dreams of his friend Charlie’s death that he is trying to save.

He ends up meeting Harper one night, who is a former classmate; they have a past, which is not so good. She despises him for when rumors spread and he did not deny them. Travis ends up being punched in the face by her, which is just priceless. They end up working things out, until another obstacle comes along. Paige keeps sneaking into his room and his family finds out one night, in order for his brother not to tell Harper, he is forced into telling her himself. Will she stay or will she leave? Harper is just that character who brings out the best in people, and someone who helps you when you are at your lowest point. I loved her character; she has her own struggles and is just overall a great character.

This was an emotional read there were times I would cry throughout the story. I have had friends who have gone to Afghanistan, but you never know exactly what all they have gone through, or seen. It is a very realistic book, people make mistakes in life and with this read, you got that. I recommend you guys to definitely read it. You will not regret it!

My favorite quote from this book:
“I don't know if my life will ever be completely normal again, but something like normal is a good start.”




View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I really wanna Read this one and your 5 star rating wants me to check it out more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete